Blog / August 8, 2019
Quick Guide: How To Choose The Right Restaurant Receipt Printer
Restaurants are changing, fast. Digital ordering and delivery has grown 300% faster than dine-in traffic since 2014. Even as restaurants evolve in the digital age, one hardware component remains a focal point: receipt printers. Receipt printers play an integral role in a seamless operation, whether a restaurant is running on legacy systems or has adopted a modern point of sale (POS) and reservation solution. Not only do they provide important transactional information to customers, but they can also act as label printers for take-out orders, table management chit printers, and more. But what are the key considerations when selecting a restaurant receipt printer? It’s important to make an informed decision when purchasing a receipt printer; you want a piece of hardware that will stand the test of time in terms of durability, connectivity, aesthetics, and more. To help you out, we’ve listed the top five factors to keep in mind when choosing a receipt printer.
1. QualityLong story short, quality means efficiency, and time is money! There are a couple of factors to look out for in terms of quality:
- Fast: Be sure to choose a receipt printer that features a high print speed and guillotine auto-cutter. Together these features reduce the time each transaction takes. Choosing a speedy, efficient printer helps staff complete tasks more quickly, freeing them up to focus on more important tasks and increase the quality of their service.
- Reliable: It’s equally important to ensure your receipt printer isn’t just fast, but reliable. An unreliable printer can cost you both time and money, so be sure to confirm its warranty, as well as the printer manufacturer’s technical support options. Look for a support team that’s accessible 24/7 and features real people that will understand your issue and help you solve it quickly. Support manuals, drivers, warranty information, and FAQs that are hosted online are an added bonus.
2. Connectivity & CompatibilityToday’s restaurants run on today’s technology, and connectivity options should be at the top of your checklist when considering a receipt printer. Be sure the printer is compatible with your device and operating system of choice. Choosing a receipt printer with modern Bluetooth iOS, Android, and Windows connectivity options means it will serve you over the long run and create a futureproof backbone for your restaurant. Integrations are also of utmost importance. Choosing a receipt printer (and other POS and reservation management platform components) that features robust integrations and partnerships is truly priceless and will help you create a more seamless operation. Make a list of your booking channels, payment providers, SMS providers, and POS applications, and ensure your printer is compatible with them all for the best experience.
3. Aesthetics & AmbianceThey say don’t judge a book by its cover, but let’s face it: looks matter, especially at restaurants. At the front-of-house of your restaurant, it’s crucial to choose a stylish printer, as this is where customers get their first impression of your brand. Today’s thermal receipt printers – or printers that use heat to transfer characters and images to receipt paper – are designed to be quiet, compact, and sleek. By taking up less space on the counter, a modern receipt printer eliminates the look of electronic clutter. Select a printer that complements your restaurant’s ambiance – there are many sleek options on the market that not only look great, but match your other modern POS and restaurant management hardware, like guest check-in tablets, cash drawers, and more.
4. Branding & MarketingReceipt printers provide so much more than transactional data – they can also be used for branding and marketing. Choose a printer that can help build your brand and increase customer engagement. This includes being able to print promotions on the bottom of receipts that direct diners to loyalty programs, social media accounts, customer surveys, special discounts, and more. POS marketing capabilities extend well beyond the receipt printer, too. For example, you can choose a reservation platform that connects directly to marketing channels, creates segmented marketing lists, sends personalized automated emails, and more.
5. Environmentally ResponsibilityLast but certainly not least, be sure to assess whether or not the receipt printer you are evaluating is environmentally friendly. It’s important to choose a printer that’s manufactured by a company that prioritizes your – and the Earth’s – health. Some eco-friendly features to look for include:
- Transparency into sustainability practices
- Paper reduction capabilities
- Energy efficiency
- Sustainable packaging
- Environmentally friendly manufacturing
- Usage/manufacturing of BPA-free thermal receipt paper